Saturday 15 October 2016

Let old wrinkles come

Another October 15th another birthday
Two years ago I was just getting used to returning to Yorkshire from our temporary sojourn in Dorking. One year ago I was celebrating the removal of a cyst from my back. Time continues. Another birthday arrives – this time I’m 56. Thank you to family and friends for cards and Facebook messages. How different is my life from any other year? Older? Yes. Wiser? Debatable.
With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come (The Merchant of Venice)
Rhenium Tales
Heaven knows whether or not the saga I’m writing as my retirement hobby will be called Rhenium Tales by the time I’m prepared to show someone the chapters. But that’s what it's called at the moment. So that’s what’s mainly different about Me, Myself and I in 2016. Three days a week (at the moment) I’m locking myself away and aiming to churn out 1000 words each day. During some writing spurts I feel like an award-winning writer of unquestionable genius; and at other times (sometimes on the same day) I feel like a writer of turgid cliché who can only write unwieldy passages of ham-handed incompetence. Hey, ho – is this the promised end?
Is this the promised end? (King Lear)

No comments:

Post a Comment