Wednesday 6 January 2016

Epiphany

Bearing gifts we traverse afar
Field and fountain, moor and mountain
Following yonder star

I don’t know which moors the three kings were traversing in John Henry Hopkins carol but I hope to spend a good number of days in the Yorkshire moors and dales during 2016. And catching up with family and friends.

  • Bearing gifts (of love and time, maybe wine.) 
  • Traversing afar (if not in reality, then in the imagination and through reading, writing, TV, cinema and theatre.)
  • Following a star….?
It’s hard to let go of the holiday season
Before they are taken down for another year, we walked round the Living Advent Windows in Saltaire village. Awesomely creative as always. And atmospheric in the cobbled streets. The walk up and down the Fannys and the Marys and William Henrys and the Georges this year was a bit splashy rather than icy as it has been in previous years. I didn’t end up with a bruised arse from falling over, just a damp hat. And an inspired soul, which is more important. (Fanny, Mary, William Henry and George are names of the children of Titus Salt, after whom Saltaire is named; Whitlam, Edward, Herbert, Titus, Helen, Amelia, and Ada were the others; some tragically predeceased their parents.)
Living Advent Windows Saltaire 2015
2016 Resolutions
I’ve had an Epiphany on this Epiphany. (A sudden revelation on the 6th January.) If I want to avoid diabetes (and enjoy retirement from teaching for a few years more) I need to make my luxury carriage (ie my body) a bit smaller in girth. I blogged about eating and drinking back in October (“Think well, love well, sleep well”) and have taken the first step to do something about it now, inspired by others who have been successful – and joined Slimming World. Yes, I have. I have entered the world of Free Food, Healthy Extras and Syns…. So far, so good, two days in…. Wish me well on the journey…. Following yonder star....

No comments:

Post a Comment